The Science Republic was developed around the idea of organizing research through informal science communication, as well as a free and democratic system of cooperation and knowledge exchange. Authority and recognition in the Science Republic are based on the principle of mutual respect, which members of this 'invisible college' show towards each other’s opinions, arguments and proof, rather than regalia and status. It is not a community of equals, but rather a place where everyone can achieve a position of status according to their own efforts. The Science Republic is a metaphor that describes the perfection we pursue and the creation of a communication platform for the academic development of HSE students and early-career scholars.
The Science Republic aims at facilitating the academic development of HSE students and young scholars. This is social platform for mutual communication of scientific knowledge and information. It ensures that support is available for students during their time at HSE, as well as enhances the chances of students’ academic success.
The principles of the project are closely aligned with its strategic goals:
- to create an open research association of HSE students with mutual communication between researchers and early-career scholars;
- to increase the level of students' science engagement;
- to build commitment to science and scientific rationality within the student community;
- to build effective lines of communication between student researchers of different research areas or levels of education;
- to promote interdisciplinary research at HSE.
If you are an HSE student at the time of your application and you are in one of the priority categories, please send a request to join the Science Republic.
The following categories have priority right to join the Science Republic:
- winners and laureates of Student Research Paper Competitions;
- recipients of presidential grants;
- students in research assistant positions;
- recipients of increased state academic scholarships;
- other reasons (e.g., active participants of student research organizations, or students with publications in international peer-reviewed journals, winners of competitions of science bloggers, etc).
Achievements acquired during the entire period of studies, not only at the time of application, shall be given consideration. Applications will be processed within 7 days.
For the residents of the Science Republic - HSE is launching unique opportunities for academic development, as well as support for initiatives in research, popular science and education.
- Activities for the development of students' academic skills - mini-courses/schools/consultations in the following areas: academic writing, bibliography, data analysis methods, presentation skills, etc.
- Support of student academic mobility (extracurricular) – enabling members of the research community to participate in summer schools at leading international universities and research centres.
- Competitions to support student research - conferences, seminars, workshops, and off-site research events.
- Student project contests
The HSE Centre for Student Academic Development is this project’s coordinator.
It was created to support and develop student research activity implemented outside of HSE’s research centres and laboratories. The centre has three main areas of activity: popularization of science and research among students; support of student research projects; and development of communication between young researchers at HSE and beyond.